Thursday, April 01, 2004

Well, this post was originally going to be much more detailed, but my computer froze, so I'm starting from scratch.

I think it's a no-brainer for the Mets to sign Bubba and platoon him with Karim. I've felt along that Garcia is a solid half of a platoon, but Spencer's not so great. Trammell will be a significant upgrade. He and Spencer are both 32, career EqA:
Spencer .260
Trammell .276
Plus, I'm pretty sure we can cut Spencer at no cost. Bubba's had a pretty solid spring, too, which gets rid of some doubts about his performance last year (he only had 55 ABs anyway).
Like I said, no brainer. We should've gotten Trammell in the first place, now we have a second chance.

I think it's foolish and unfair that Seo may lose his spot in the rotation. He pitched well (3.82 ERA) last year for 188 innings. To judge him based on 21 spring training innings is ridiculous, particularly because we don't have any great options. Do you think the Sox are going to send Pedro down to AAA?

As for the 5th spot, I think I'd go with either Roberts or Yates (probably Roberts). Heilman has arguably had the best spring, but I'll defer to the Mets' judgment that a little more time in AAA will be best for his development. Using that same logic, Yates could probably use a little more practice, which is why I'd go with Roberts. Erickson has been unimpressive, dump him. No way it's worth paying him money.

I'd also give Orber Moreno the final bullpen spot. He's been lights out in spring training, much like he was in Norfolk last year. Bottalico has a long history of mediocrity.

Bill Pulsipher will be playing for the LI Ducks this year. I'm down.

No comments: