Sunday, January 11, 2004

Vlad to the Angels. D'oh! Reportedly $70 over 5. Angels are gonna be damn good next year, but I think the A's are still the favorites. Close.

I'm pissed the Mets didn't get him, but I'm glad they at least made an effort. I'm still not sure if it's wise to give him 5 years with the bad back, and my feeling along was that he wasn't thrilled with the idea of coming to NY.

NO MO! Very happy. We save something like $13 million. (75% of whatever he's owed this year).

Turk Wendell is done. He somehow managed a decent ERA last year, but he walked more than he struck out. Probably won't survive the whole year in the majors.

I haven't heard anything about Reed, but I wouldn't mind bringing him in to battle Heilman for the 5th spot. He's still decent.

ERA+ is ERA vs. the league average. 100 is average. 200 is twice as good as the league average. 606 is amazingly 6 times better than the league average.

As for Pete Rose, I think he's coming off terribly in all this. Not apologetic at all. I'm still narrowly in favor of putting him in the Hall, but there is no way he should be allowed to manage again. I wouldn't be shocked if he bet on his team again.

My HOF ballot would have been:
Eck
Molitor
Blyleven
Sandberg
Trammell (probably)
Gossage (probably)
Hernandez (just to keep him on the ballot)

Too bad about Mex. The problem for the voters is that he doesn't fit in with the other 1B in the Hall. They're mostly in because they're great power hitters. Keith's value comes from D and a high Avg/OBP. I'm still not convinced he belongs, but I think it's close.

Good statistical analysis about what hitters belong.

No comments: